Monday, May 4, 2020

Week 03 - A Wild Sheep Chase


A Wild Sheep Chase interests me with how it leaves each character without names. The protagonist’s name is never mentioned, and forgets the name of his girlfriend, who is mentioned several times. Even the name of his friend, The Rat, is a bit suspicious to me.

I was concerned as to why the main character’s girlfriend never showed her ears. At first, I assumed that showing them would end up cursing someone or something. And sure enough, they seemed to have possessed some sort of power that made her more attractive according to the protagonist and passerby’s. By the end of the novel, they no longer have power over him. I still have no idea what’s so significant about her ears, but figured they were mentioned so often for a reason. Maybe? I’m wondering if this is a part of Asian culture, or just some weird sexual fetish.

I kept wondering what the Sheep Man’s goal was. To cause terror upon the world or haunt the main character? But either way, this supernatural creature is a mysterious being, and something that I personally find to be a better horror antagonist than the typical satanic demon or cursed doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment